UNDERSTANDING BIBLICAL GIVING
By Dr. David Juma: Life Church International, Nairobi
Message at the Christian Union, University of Nairobi
“Offerings for the Sanctuary”
Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: “Speak to the children
of Israel, that they bring Me an offering. From everyone who
gives it willingly with his heart you shall take My offering.”
” And let them make Me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among
• God is an all-giving God.
• He is the creator, redeemer and it is his character to give.
• Unless we are gripped by God’s amazing giving, we won’t
understand why loving generosity should dominate our lives.
• Biblical giving principles are not a recipe for instant prosperity,
but they are God’s way to blessing and joy.
• When we give in his way we are on a certain path to peace
and maturity (Righteousness).
• Never forget that giving is the highway to heavenly treasures.
TEXTS: 2 Cor. 8: 1-7, 12 and 2 Cor. 9: 1-15
NEW TESTAMENT GIVING
Types of offerings that we encourage in the church:
1. Tithes – 10% of all income belongs to God (for
government and ecclesiastics Gen 14:20, Heb 7:2,6 to
support ministers Numbers 18-21-32, Mal. 3:10).
2. Alms- We are commanded to mind the poor (Galatians
3. Free will offerings – As you have determined in your
heart. He who sows bountifully shall reap bountifully and
he who sows sparingly shall reap sparingly (2
Corinthians 9:6,7, Mark 12:41)
4. Missions Offerings – These four pillars, with the four
sub-pillars (corners or faces) are essential to
understanding biblical finances and giving (Mark
10:29-30, Philippians 4:15-19).
FOUR BASIC QUESTIONS ABOUT GIVING
1. Why should we give?
2. To whom should we give?
3. How should we give?
4. What shall we receive when we give?
WHY SHOULD WE GIVE?
8 reasons why we should give our money, wealth and possessions
1. God gives: He is all giving, the creator, redeemer and he is
lavish to his friends and enemies.
2. God commands us to give:
3. We give to worship God practically.
4. We give because we love with God’s love: Our giving will
help God’s type of love to grow within us.
5. We give because we are thankful: Thanksgiving in the
Scriptures is more common thank thanks-saying
6. We give to create equality: Acts 2: 44-45 and this shows
unity in the body of Christ.
7. We give because we want heavenly treasure: God
promises great rewards, heavenly treasure and even
inheritance in the Kingdom of God.
8. We give because we want our needs supplied: Phil. 4: 19.
Many people spend years clinging to their money in vain, only
to see God provide miraculously when they begin to give.
None of us has needs which are too great for all-giving God.
TO WHOM SHOULD WE GIVE?
Due to the fact that there are many requests and enquiries for your
money, this is an important question for us to answer.
WE ALL SHOULD GIVE TO GOD. PERIOD!
BUT IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS:
1. We should give to the local ‘priests and Levites”. This is
especially our Tithes, that should be given within your the
2. Give to God’s ministry for you. The ministry that God is
using to bless you the most. If your local church is not
blessing you then you are in the wrong place. Your giving that
ministry is to help it fulfill its mission and vision.
3. Give your Alms to the poor and the needy. Your church or
ministry should establish a way of reaching out to the needy
in your community.
4. Give Hospitality to visitors and strangers. (When you
minister hospitality, you are doing it to God, and that’s a way
of showing your love for God. (Rom 12: 13, Heb. 13: 1, 1
Peter 4: 9
HOW SHOULD WE GIVE?
These are patterns of good giving in the Scriptures:
1. Give generously
2. Give appropriately: freely to God, to the ministry to the poor
and to the needy.
3. Give personally: Face to face giving stretches our generosity
and increases our joy.
4. Give creatively: Tithe, free-will offering, thanksgiving, alms
(food) hospitality, benevolent, relief, for missions, projects,
etc. In the Bible people gave like a donkey, a tomb, lands etc.
5. Give thoughtfully. Check your motives, what you are giving
for, so that you give the appropriate amounts, too little or
much, etc. Have a willing mind, i.e being eagerness to give
(Exod. 35: 5).
WHAT DO WE RECEIVE FROM OUR GIVING?
1. Heavenly treasure: We can turn our incomes and assets in
to something far more valuable, into eternal riches. (Matt. 10:
40-42, 25: 31-40, Luke 6: 30-38, 12: 33-34, 14: 12-14, 2 Cor.
9: 6-14, Phil. 4: 15-20)
2. God will meet our needs: God determines what our needs
are not we! (Phil. 4: 19, Matt. 6: 19-33, Deut. 14: 29, 24: 19,
Mal. 3: 10, Isa. 59: 7-11).
3. Spiritual growth for you. In the book of acts the church
growth, the joy and the favor they had was associated to their